The department of Electronics and Communication has been started since the establishment of the Institution. It offers the three years diploma programmes to meet the requirement of the Industry, Community and its stake holders. The Department has got adequate infrastructural and human resources facilities. It has well equipped labs and workshops. All the labs have Latest equipment and students are given adequate training in the Labs and Workshops. The Department has Software /LR centre to utilise the High tech Simulation Software's and Virtual Lab facilities.
The different labs in the Department are:
1. Software Lab.
2. Digital & Microprocessor lab.
3. Electrical Engineering Lab.
4. Basic Electricity and Electronics Lab
5. Industrial Electronics/N.F.T.L Lab.
6. Audio Video/TV and Communication Lab.
7.Microcontroler and PLC lab
8.PCB lab .
9. Measurement Lab.
10. Physics Lab
The Workshops available in the Department are:
1. Electrical Workshop
2. Electronics Workshop
3. Mechanical Workshop.
Diploma Programme in
Electronics and Communication Engineering
(For the State of J&K)
|Name of the Programme
||Diploma Programme in Electronics and
|Duration of the Programme
||Three years (6 semester)
||Matriculation or equivalent as prescribed by
State Board of Technical Education, J&K
|Pattern of the Programme
|| Semester Pattern
Ratio between theory and Practice
|45 : 55(Approx)
||A minimum duration of six weeks of industrial training is included after 4th semester during summer vacation. An Internal assessment out of 50 marks and an external assessment out of another 50 marks have been added in 5th semester. Total marks allotted to industrial training will be 100.
|Distribution of Marks
||Daily diary and reports of training - 50 Marks
Viva Voce - 50 Marks
|Ecology and Environment
||As per directives of Government of India directives, an awareness camp on Ecology and Environment has been incorporated during second semester.
||An Entrepreneurial Awareness Camp and a full subject on Generic Skills and Entrepreneurship Development have been incorporated in the scheme.
||A camp focusing on personality development of students has been incorporated in the fifth semester. There will be assessment under SCA.
| Student Centred Activities
||A provision of 3-4 hrs per week has been made for organizing Student Centred Activities for overall personality development of students. Such activities will comprise of co–curricular activities activities like extension lectures, library studies, games, hobby clubs e.g. photography, painting, singing, seminars, declamation contests, educational field visits, N.C.C., NSS, Cultural Activities, Civil Defence/ Disaster Management activities etc.
Employment Opportunities and Activity Profile of
Diploma Holders in Electronics and Communication Engineering
An exercise, to have first hand information about employment opportunities and activity profile of diploma engineers in the field of electronics, was done by Curriculum Development Centre of National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training and Research, Chandigarh. The feedback from industries and other organizations has revealed that diploma holders in Electronics and Communication Engineering find employment in the following organizations:
Various Departments/ organizations/boards and corporations
- Tele-Communication Engineering and related Department
- AIR, Doordarshan,
- Overseas Communication,
- Mine Communication,
- Radar and Wireless,
- Defence Services, Para-military Forces and Police
- Civil Aviation
- Defence Research and Development Organizations (DRDO)
- Electricity Boards and Corporations etc.
- Engineering Institutions
- Research and Development Deptt.
- Maintenance Department.
- Airport Authority of India (Airports)
- Communication Industry manufacturing wireless mobile equipment for defence and Paramilitary forces
- PCB Design and Fabrication Industry
- Consumer Electronics Industry
- Electronic Components and Devices Manufacturing and Installation Organizations
- Computer Assembling and Computer Peripheral Industry;
- Computer Software Areas for Electronic Design and Semi Conductor
- Instrumentation and Control Industries
- Internet Server Provides
- Food Product Industries
- Construction Industries
- Agro and dairy Industry
- Public Sector Undertakings ( like BHEL,BEL, HAL, etc)
- D.T.H component and Fabrication factory
- Mobile Phone assembly Industries
- Medical Electronics Industry
- EPABX/ Telephone Exchange Manufacturing Industries
- Computer Software Areas for Electronic Design and Semi Conductor Manufacturing Industry
- Computer Assembling and Computer Peripheral Industry;
- Automobile Industry
- Automation and Control Industry (viz bottling plant, cement plant, automobile units, escalators etc.
- Electronics Service Centres
- Opto Electronics (Medical & Comm.)
- Computer Networking
- Educational Institutions (Engineering Institutes, ITIs, Vocational Schools etc)
- Sales and Services of Electronic Gadgets from Small Scale Industries
- Call Centres
- Marketing and Sales (Distributors - whole sale and retailers)
- Service Sector( repair and Maintenance; job work)
- Cable laying and jointing DBs etc.
- Preparing Simulated Models
- Manufacturing Unit (e.g.- Bulb manufacturing, chalk manufacturing, circuit manufacturing units etc)
The diploma holders in Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) generally get employed in manufacturing, assembly industries of consumer electronics, manufacturing of wireless equipment, Doordashan and All India Radio (AIR), defence organizations, marketing and servicing organizations. Some of the activities they perform are listed below:
- Reading, interpreting and preparing drawings and circuits in electronics and related fields
- Supervising the fabrication and assembly work at sub-assembly and final assembly
- Selecting components and devices for simple applications
- Testing the materials used in assembly work.
- Assisting the engineer in quality control of the product being assembled or manufactured
- Operating, recording and display equipment in AIR/Doordarshan, satellite stations and studios
- Supervising of the fabrication and assembly work of trans-receivers and walkie-talkie used for police wireless, mines communication and defence services
- Operation, testing and maintenance of radar equipment used in defence services
- Preparing estimates for different jobs of installation and maintenance
- Assistance to the engineers/scientist doing research/development work by fabricating and testing different electronic circuits
- Operates, maintains and tests computer and computer peripheral equipment
- Supervising the assembly and testing work in computer industry
- Operates wireless/ radar in defence services
- Assists in firing and maintenance of guided weapons and launching equipment
- As a self employed person he/she has to use multifarious activities such as designing PCBs, procuring raw material and components, assemble, manufacture, repair and maintenance, testing and fault diagnosis, sale and service, marketing etc.
- Customer care service (BPOs etc)
- As Internet service providers for LAN, WAN, VPN, and Internet. Configuration of Routers, Firewall, ATMs, L-3- switches Voip etc.