The department was started in the year 1988 with the intake capacity of 10 students and was named as Secretarial Practices with 2 years duration .Later the department was renamed as Modern office practice and Computer application & the duration of the course was changed to 3 Years and the intake capacity was increased to 30.The Department has been modernised with the latest equipment under world Bank Project.
The different labs in the Department are:
1. Typing Lab
2. Communication Lab.
3. Office Equipment Lab.
Salient Features of the Diploma Programme in
Office Management and Computer Applications
|Name of the Programme
||Diploma programme in Office Management and Computer Applications
|Duration of the Programme
||Matriculation or as
prescribed by Board of Technical Education and Industrial Training, J&K
||15 (or as prescribed by the Board)
|Pattern of the Programme
Ratio between theory and Practice
|37 : 63 (Approx.)
|Ecology and Environment
||As per Govt. of India directives, an awareness camp on Ecology and Environment has been incorporated in the scheme.
||An Entrepreneurial Awareness Camp has been incorporated in the scheme.
||A personality development camp has been included in the 5th semester.
| Student Centred Activities
||A provision of 3-4 hrs per week has been made for organizing Student Centred Activities for overall personality development of students. Such activities will comprise of co-curricular activities such as expert lectures, games, hobby classes like photography, painting, singing etc. seminars, declamation contests, educational field visits, NCC, NSS and cultural activities etc.
Employment Opportunities for Diploma Holders in
Office Management and Computer Applications
Following are the job opportunities available for the diploma holders in the Office Management and Computer Applications. Some of these positions are likely to be occupied by a diploma holder at the entry level and some after gaining work experience for a certain period of time:
- Office Secretary /Personal Secretary
- Office Executive/Supervisor
- Documentation Executive / Supervisor/Office/Organizer/Liaison assistants in the following areas of employment
- Public and Private Sector Enterprises, Boards and Corporations
- Service sector establishments like Judicial Complexes, banks and other financial institutions, hotels, hospitals, Beauty and health services, insurance companies, transport systems, travel agents, Air lines, retail Sector, educational institutions etc.
- Real Estate, Construction Office
- Commercial establishments
- Government departments, etc.
- Vocational teachers in ITIs, Polytechnics, Schools and Colleges.
- Call Centres, BPOs, KPOs, Medical Transcription and Data Entry establishments
In addition to above, these diploma holders can set up their own service centres or own enterprise
- Reprographic services, photostat, lamination, punching and binding, cyclostyling, laser printing, DTP, computerized accounting and other job works.
- Information Networking : PCOs : Phone, Fax, Courier, etc.
- Computer Centres, commercial institutes in typing and data entry.
- Services : Office design and layout, Accounting, Labour relations, Travel guides, etc.
- Sale and service of office machines, equipment and supply of office consumables.
- Call Centres, BPOs,Medical Transcription and Data Entry enterprises.
Competency Profile of Diploma Holders in
Office Management And Computer Applications
Keeping in view the employment opportunities and job profile of diploma holders in Office Management and Computer Applications, following competency profile is arrived at:
- Development of knowledge and skills in oral and written communication for handling business and office related correspondence.
- Development of skills for operating/handling/ management of communication systems
- Development of secretarial skills by using modern office equipment
- Development of necessary expertise in handling clients and appreciation of value of better inter-personal relations for growth and development of the organization
- Development of knowledge and skills in handling modern automated equipment and gadgets like computers, fax, EAPBX, photocopying machines, DTP, franking machine and other machines/equipments which are used in modern offices
- Understanding the concepts and principles of management, office methods and practices, accounting procedures and business legislation to manage the office effectively and efficiently
- Development of competencies in information processing its storage, documentation and retrieval
- Development of multiple skills in handling office matters
- Development of a pleasing personality and better inter-personal relationship for growth and development of the organization
- Development of habit of learning by oneself and knowing new developments in one’s field of interest and related areas/disciplines
- Understanding of human behaviour, group dynamics and value of team work
- Development of entrepreneurial attitudes
- Development of awareness about protection and improvement of environment
- Development of values and attitudes such as:
- Dignity of labour
- Planning and Execution of work systematically and neatly
- Accuracy in work
- Supporting spirit with colleagues
- Dedication and commitment
- Flexibility and receptivity of mind etc
- Physical fitness
- Moral values and Nationalism