National Service Scheme is a student centered programme and it is complementary to education. It is a noble experiment in academic extension. It in calculates the spirit of voluntary work among students and teachers through sustained community interaction. It brings our academic institutes closer to the society. It is a link between the campus and community, the college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is the personality development of students through community service. It gives an extension dimension to technical education system and orients the student youth to community service.
National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS, was formally launched on 24th September, 1969, the birth centenary of the father of the nation. 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day nationwide.
The motto of NSS is "NOT ME BUT YOU". The reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other persons point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
Govt Polytechnic for women, Jammu organize regular events in campus with banner -
1. Blood Donation Camp: Blood donation camp is an annual event organized by the NSS unit of GPFWJ in collaboration with the Department of Transfusion, GMC Jammu. Doctors from GMC coordinate and collect blood from the donors.
2. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a campaign in India that aims to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of Indian cities, smaller town and rural areas. The drive is organised within campus and adjoining areas.
3. Labour Day: The objective of this programme is to create a sense of belongingness toward the institute and show them how important they are in our organization. Along with this they are motivated by our worthy principal to achieve common goal of the institute.
4. Environment Enrichment & Conservation: Under this, various activities done are Tree Plantation and creation of tree consciousness among the community.
5. Programmes for awareness & improvement of Women Status: Various activities and programmes are conducted for educating women and making them aware of their rights.
6. Disaster preparedness: NSS unit of Govt Polytechnic for Women, Jammu is always ready to extend their helping hand to local authorities during emergencies.
The N.S.S unit works continuously as a family irrespective of caste, colour&religion for the upliftment and betterment of the society and the best part is that it’s the only work where we do “Karm”(work) without any greed and purely from the core of heart. Let us work and bring change together.
N.S.S. Programme officer
Ms. Bhawana Arora